I was recently installing a ConfigMgr 2012 site for a customer and ran into
an unusual error towards the end of the installation that i hadn’t seen before
and wanted to share this incase others ran into this similar issue. The
following error message will be displayed in your ConfigMgr Setup log if you
have a Password Filter configured on your system. For more information on
Password filters and what they are check out the following Link.
The error “Failed to set up SQL Server certificate for service broker” is due
to the fact that setup is trying to create a SQL Server Broker certificate and
cannot set the password for the certificate because of the installed Password
Filter on the system.
In order to workaround this problem you will need to temporarily remove the
password filter so that setup can create the SQL Server Broker certificate.
1) Take a backup of the following key
2) Open the “Notification Packages” Multi String Value at the above registry
3) Remove your custom password filter from the list, by default scecli is the
only option listed in the Notification Packages value.
4) Re-run setup and choose to uninstall your site to remove the failed
installation after this has completed run setup again to complete your site
5) Optionally Restore your previously backed up registry key.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided “AS IS” with no
warranties, confers no rights, and is not supported by the authors or Microsoft
Corporation. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified
in the Terms of